As I sit at my desk in a bikini with a fan directly behind me to ensure that I don’t pass out due to heat exhaustion, I can’t help but miss San Francisco. This insane East Coast heat wave has me longing for perpetually cool weather, friendly people and the endless amounts of gourmet ice cream that SF has to offer. We won’t even talk about how much I miss dancing all day at Lines Ballet. The San Fransico withdrawal is real.
To ease the pain of leaving the Bay Area, I’ve created a list of my favorite places in the city. I’ve included restaurants, shopping spots, outdoor oases and lots of ice cream recommendations. I mean, I think we know what’s really important here.
- Waraku | For best, traditional ramen in Japantown. The Shoyu is my favorite.
- Marufuku | Trendiest ramen spot in Japantown.
- Salt and Straw | The boujee-est, most delicious ice cream you’ll ever experience.
- Smitten Ice Cream | Decadent and inventive flavors made fresh with their very own, patented ice cream machine.
- The Ice Cream Bar | For a delicious ice cream cone, shake, malt or sundae in retro digs.
- Arizmendi Bakery |Introduced to me by a good friend of mine who’s an SF local, the home of the most incredible foccacia known to man.
- Bob’s Doughnuts | For the softest, freshest doughnuts you’ve ever tasted. Crispy Creme who?
- Taqueria El Buen Sabor | For a burrito the size of your arm and authentic af.
- Off the Grid | Food truck heaven.
- Lands End | For breathtaking views of the ocean and a treacherous but thrilling hike.
- Golden Gate Park | Thousands of acres of green space. Includes the SF Botanical Gardens, de Young Art Museum, and multiple flower gardens.
- The Palace of Fine Arts | Perfect spot for a photoshoot.
- Mission Dolores Park | Beautiful views of the city and the chillest vibes. *Beware the second-hand high.
- Hayes Valley | For boujee food, a beautiful green space and urban-hipster vibes.
- Valencia Street | Great brunch spots and boutiques.
- Fillmore Street| Known widely for jazz and by me for good shopping.
- The Haight | Thrift shops galore. Make sure to check out Wasteland for second-hand, high-end goodies.
- Westfield San Francisco Centre| Yes, I put a mall on here. How dare I. But it’s a really beautiful mall.
- ODC Theatre | Long standing performance space featuring modern dance.
- Balboa Theatre | An independent, retro movie theatre owned by my friend’s family.
I hope that you enjoyed this guide and get to check some of these places out if you ever find yourself in San Francisco. Definitely hit all three ice cream spots. It’s kind of a necessity.